LogiSYM Webinars: The Impact of COVID-19 on Logistics Innovation
The webinar attracted more 130 registrations and 75 live connections with a continuous flow of excellent questions, comments & feedback from participants.
Wolfgang Lehmacher’s highlights can be summarised as follows:
Opening message – “Logistics is an old industry that requires people to make it work. It is all about operations that make things happen. There are many new opportunities out there.”
– Vulnerabilities in Supply Chain are exiting & accentuated by the inherent weaknesses.
– Inherent weaknesses –> Lean concept, Complexity of Supplier Tiers, Poor Pipeline Visibility.
– Mitigation is technology –> must avoid a roll-back to old norms.
– Diversification is slow & gradual -> requires better positioning to render more resilient.
– Managing evolution & integration through these transitional moments is fundamental.
– Utilising relevant software & technology to improve performance.
– Suppliers rationalisation to improve relationships & reduce some complexities.
– Deploying qualified Human capital to upgrade skills sets.
– Environmental space – managing life better on our planet circular economy.
– Shift in Influencers -> consumer behaviour shaping new norms -> e-commerce
– Change in Supplier base -> choose who to support, which will impact integration process.
– Planning cycles are currently too long (i.e 13wks) –> a rationalisation vs optimisation ?
– Starts with Leadership -> it’s more about leaders in the industry – need Vision to make changes.
– Leaders should give space & latitude for the organisation to create innovations.
– Innovations are driven by Customer needs –> must be outward looking -> know your customer.
– Logistics is about operational capabilities -> new & better ways to achieve more with less.
– Industry has been slow to adapt -> now is the time to change this culture.
– Integration is one way but also collaboration is another to share & leverage resources.
“This is the moment to leap-out & act ! People need to step-up to the mark & stay engaged to create new innovations by learning, applying and adapting in agile way”